I have lived in Florida for 15 years, though I grew up in Pennsylvania. I think my home state has some of the best food traditions, two of which are Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Snyders Pretzels. My favorite comfort food treat that every Pennsylvania mom seems to know how to make are Strawberry Cream Cheese Pretzel Bars.
They might sound kind of wacky, but they are absolutely amazing and easy to make. This sweet and salty snack is a unique item to bring to a potluck dinner or make for a holiday meal. Plus the red is great for holiday parties, but I love it for picnics in the summer just as much.
My girlfriend who also grew up in Pennsylvania maintains this is a side dish and not a desert.
I’ll let you decide!
- 2 cups of finely crushed pretzels (I suggest putting them in a bag and using a potato masher).
- 1/2 cup of sugar, divided (or 1/4 cup of Truvia to cut down on the sugar, though the sugar caramelizes a bit better).
- 2/3 cup melted butter.
- 1 1/2 packages (8 oz. each) of softened Philadelphia Cream Cheese (12 oz.).
- 2 Tablespoons of milk (at least 2%).
- 1 cup of thawed Cool Whip.
- 2 cups boiling water.
- 1 package(6 oz.) of strawberry Jello.
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water (include a few ice cubes too).
- 4 cups of sliced strawberries.